A. New residents are required to transfer their out of state license to Louisiana within 30 days of establishing a residence in this state. Initial issuance requires the applicant to appear in person at the
local Office of Motor Vehicles
- valid out-of-state driver’s license, or official driving record (This may be faxed directly to the OMV office by the previous licensing authority.)
- one primary document (see Section 1, Policy 6.00 for a complete list of acceptable primary identification documents).
- one secondary document (see Section 1, Policy 6.00 for a complete list of acceptable secondary identification documents).
- Social Security Verification
- proof of insurance for any vehicle you own
- Proof of Residency
- Minors, 17 years of age or younger, must be accompanied by custodial parent or legal guardian with picture I.D. In case of joint custody, only domiciliary parent may sign.
- completed Certificate of Required School Attendance obtained from your school
Home school students must present the Home Study Approval Notification Letter or the Registered Non-public School: Registration Confirmation
letter from the Louisiana Department of Education.
Acceptable methods of payment
are as follows:
Driver's - Driver's Wikipedia License
Credit cards, debit cards, money orders. A transaction fee will be assessed for payments made with a credit/debit card as indicated below:
Credit/Debit - $1.25 plus 1% of transaction total
All applicants must meet visual and medical requirements.
Persons transferring valid, non-commercial, out-of-state licenses (as exemplified in Louisiana's Class E and D) will NOT be required to take any examination other than the vision test.
You will be issued a Louisiana license that is equivalent to the one you are surrendering from out of state.
- Full time students living in Louisiana but maintaining out-of-state or out-of-country permanent residency, do not have to obtain a Louisiana license as long as full-time student status is in effect and the driver’s license is valid.
- Military personnel and dependents assigned to Louisiana are not required to obtain a Louisiana license.
Reminder: As a new Louisiana resident, you are required to transfer your out-of-state registration to Louisiana within 30 days. Please see
Requirements to Transfer Your Out-of-State Registered Vehicle
for detailed information.